Massage Technique to Save Your Knees
I am amaze to know that many players in sports are in jeopardy of retiring earlier than their age should dictate just because their knees are giving up too fast. And I am worried that two of my favorites will be forced to retire soon because of their knee troubles.
I cringe that their physical therapists, including their health physicians cannot do anything despite perhaps having the most advanced technology they have to solve the problem.
As one who experienced hard work in my younger years – working as a laborer in building constructions (carrying truck-loads of sands, cements, and lumbers to be used for building materials of houses up in the mountains) I also encountered knee problems that for those who don’t have idea about the power of massage must have brought it to their physicians for treatment. But thank you to the Lord who makes miracles, the massage He let me learned help me to solve the problem. From my own experiences of knee problems, I learned how to use massage therapy in regaining the health of my knees.
The problem of many players is overworked thigh muscles. When the thigh muscles are overworked it results to inflamed knee which is even painful to just walk, and going up and down stairs. So, one can imagine how much pain to run like the basketball players and tennis players do.
Repeated inflammation of the knee can result to the loss of synovial fluids in the knee-joint, and when it is not treated immediately with massage therapy can have very painful consequences which would give the surgeon a reason to put a patient under the mercy of his knives.
Why use massage therapy not physical therapy? Because physical therapy exacerbates the problem causing the knee to become more inflamed. I have seen in big hospitals giving physical exercises to people who are supposed to be given massage therapy first before any exercises. I want to emphasize that the prerequisite of physical therapy is massage.
And this is probably the reason why those players knees are not getting healed because they are forcing them to work it out, doing physical therapy, instead of availing the relaxation power of massage therapy.
The purpose of knee massage is to save a knee from undergoing surgery by promoting the flow of synovial fluid inside the kneecap and to the whole joint of the knee itself.
The parts to work on are the muscles of the thighs and the involved knee itself.
A. Treat the thigh muscles
- Use one of the thumbs to probe points and spots that affect the knee. Use the other fingers as support. These points are tender so mild pressure must be applied at first.
- When tender spots are found press it with your thumb. Two thumbs can work alternately on the points. I said points because usually the trigger points follow a line.
- The length of pressure applied varies depending on how sensitive the spot is. Sometimes the application is fast – press>release, press>release or a count of one second for each point. Then when the points have more tolerance or energized a longer seconds of at least 3-5 seconds can be applied. And when cure is eminent, a ten second or ten counts is applied.
- After using the thumb pressure, be sure to end it with kneading to disperse any pain collected on the points pressed. Vigorous vibration can be applied also.
- Repeat the procedure the following day. And if there is a need for more treatment, then do so until the knee is completely healed.
B. Treat the kneecap and knee-joint
- Position the knee to become relaxed. The kneecap should be able to move freely and there’s no force necessary to move it. However,some kneecaps became hardened due to loss of fluid to make it freely shift, thus a little force of push is needed to move it.
- Thumb press on between the knee cap and the protruding bone, there is a hallow point and it feels soft. Press on it for few seconds and pressure depends on its sensitivity. 3-5X.
- Next, feel the lower edge of the kneecap then try to push it upward until it moves. Bu – don’t force to move it if at first is tough to move. Soften it by massaging around and probe for sensitive spots that the pain shoots inside the knee-joint and under the kneecap.
- Now, try again to press around the edges of the kneecap and try to move it away from the center. Usually sharp pain is felt by the customer but that is normal which will go away when the knee is free from its problem.
- Also, hold both sides and edges of the kneecap using the thumb and the side of the forefinger then press. Pain is usually felt underneath the kneecap.